The year 2020 is one that would go down in history as a very eventful one and not exactly in the positive sense. The year has proven to be a handful with the series of disastrous events that rocked the globe. Despite these unfortunate occurrences, the Nigerian entertainment industry was not left out as it dished out its usual drama.
True to its description, the industry did not fail to entertain fans with series of controversies and dramas.
1.DBanj: Music star, Dapo Oyebanjo, was accused by a young lady for sexually assaulting her in 2018. According to her account on social media, the singer made passes at her after she attended an event she was invited to by a friend. She claimed that after turning him down several times, he forced his way into her hotel room and molested her.
Seyitan decided to call him out on social media after the singer’s post condemning rape on Instagram.
2. Burna Boy vs Davido, Reekado Banks: Two of the top musicians in the industry, Burna Boy and Davido have not been on positive terms for a while now. It all started after Davido reposted a fan’s art on his page where he and Wizkid were hailed as the GOATs in the industry.
This did not go down well with Burna who felt he was left out on purpose and he resorted to blasting his colleague.
Burna Boy is not a stranger to controversy and he also made headlines when he shunned another singer, Reekado Banks.
He expressed that Banks was not on the level to battle with him and fans did not find the statement funny.
3. 9ice: Nigerian musician, 9ice, recently made headlines and not for winning a Grammy. 9ice’s ex-wife Toni Payne reacts as singer cheats on new wife The Gongo Aso crooner was embroiled in a scandal after he was discovered to have cheated on his wife in less than a year after their marriage. The musician was seen in a hotel with a lady and in the video, he said that the lady was his babe and any other guy who took her to hotels were only wasting their money.
The video went viral and 9ice took to his page to appeal to Nigerians to beg his wife in a video many have described as embarrassing and horrible.
4. Lilian Afegbai: Nollywood actress, Lilian Afegbai, was recently on the lips of many on social media because of her mother. It all started during the End SARS protests when some people condemned others who dressed irresponsibly to protest grounds. The film star made a video slamming the critics and telling them that people could wear whatever they wanted.
After her video went viral, people revived the story of how her retired police officer mother allegedly killed a student and hurriedly buried him to hide the deed. The scandal led to the actress deactivating her social media page for a while.
5. Lizzy Anjorin: This Nollywood actress is no stranger to controversy and does not seem to fear it. She tied the knot to her long-time beau and people were quick to bring up information that he was married to five other women and that they had kids for him.
Lizzy was unbothered by their claims and even challenged them to come for DNA tests.
6. Erica and Laycon: BBNaija stars, Erica and Laycon, were two housemates who gave fans a lot to argue about on social media. During the show, Laycon had expressed his affection for Erica while she on the other hand preferred to be with Kiddwaya.
Erica and Laycon started out as friends but things spiralled out of control due to unsettled feelings and they no longer see eye to eye. Erica was eventually disqualified from the show after her outburst at Laycon where she called him several unworthy names.
7. Rosie and Kachi: They were contestants on the Ultimate Love reality show and the eventual winners. However, their love story soon turned sour as they revealed that they were no longer an item. Kachi later came out to claim that Rosie aborted their child without telling him for the sake of her career.
She never admitted or refuted the claims. Rosie and Kachi broke up despite winning the Ultimate Love show. Photos:
8. Lil Frosh: Upcoming Nigerian singer and DMW signee, made headlines after his ex-girlfriend, Gift, accused him of being very violent towards her. The young lady shared her story and accompanied it with photos of the terrible way the rapper allegedly deformed her face during one of his beatings.
Lil Frosh also eventually denied the claims and said that his girlfriend had a boil and it was the reason for her swollen face and not his punches.
9. Paul PSquare and Lola Okoye: Nigerian singer, Paul Okoye, also had fans wondering what could have gone wrong after he called out his sister-in-law, Lola Omotayo, on social media. It all started after Lola wished her husband and Paul a happy birthday.
Paul called her a hypocrite and said that they had not spoken for years but that she always shared a birthday post preaching unity so that people would think she was an angel.
10. Cynthia Morgan vs Jude Okoye: Nigerian dancehall singer, Cynthia Morgan, broke the internet after her viral interview on Instagram live where she claimed that her former label boss, Jude Okoye, made her sign a bad contract and also owed her money. The manager later debunked the claims after sharing a copy of the contract she signed online. This move left fans in confusion about who to believe.
11. Blackface vs 2baba, Former Plantashun Boiz band member, Blackface, left many people wondering about his mental health after what seemed like his continued obsession with 2baba. Blackface called out 2baba at any given opportunity and even more recently for not telling the world that his driver died. The singer also called out his top colleagues, Wizkid and Burna Boy, for criticizing the Buhari government.
12. DJ Switch: Nigerian disc jockey, DJ Switch, rose to fame after the role she played during the End SARS protest at Lekki on October 20, 2020. Her live video coverage of the event raised serious dust with some people saying she lied and others believing her. According to several reports, she is currently in hiding at an unknown location.